Pilgrim Guide to Brexit

Important to note:
  1. Travellers should firstly heed the official advice regarding Covid restrictions on international travel - both from the country of origin and the destination country. See the UK Government website page on travel abroad for up-to-date information.
  2. These guidelines are a summary of regulations pertinent to most Camino Pilgrims. We strongly advise you also check the latest information and advice on international travel both from the UK and to the country you are visiting on the UK Government website in advance.


Covid-related restrictions on travel notwithstanding, the following new rules apply:

  • UK nationals are now only able to travel without a visa to Schengen area countries for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. This includes most of Europe:

 map of schengen area european commission


  • The rules for Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania are different. You could make a 90-day trip to any of them and still not use up your 90-day allowance for other EU countries.
  • From 2022, UK nationals will have to pay for a visa-waiver scheme in order to visit many European countries.


  • Your passport:
    • Must be less than 10 years old
    • Must have at least six months left on it (except for trips to Ireland)

  • Your insurance:
    • Make sure you get health cover with your travel insurance. If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) it only remains valid until its expiry date. This is being replaced by a similar scheme, dubbed the UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). You can read more about this and apply for one here.  

  • Mobile phone:
    • Check your roaming charges with your provider, as guaranteed free roaming has now stopped.

  • Border control:
    • Use separate lanes from the EU, EEA and Swiss citizens.

  • If you are driving in your own car:
    • Take your driving licence as well as your log book (V5C) and valid insurance documents.
    • You will also need to contact your insurer six weeks before you intend to travel to get a green card that will prove you have insurance.
    • If you do not have a photocard driving licence, just a paper version, you will need to buy an International Driving Permit for some European countries, which can be purchased from Post Offices for £5.50. You will also need an IDP if your licence was issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man. More information on driving in Europe here.


Update from 24th May 2021 - the Gov.uk website is speculating on several *possible* requirements for travel from the UK to Spain. There are also similar suggestions for France. These have not yet been confirmed and are already meeting resistance from the hospitality industries in each country. Currently these include:

  • possibly having to show a return or onward ticket before departure
  • possibly having to prove you have enough money for your stay
  • possibly showing proof of where you will be staying, for example a hotel booking confirmation, or an invitation from your host

We will update this page once we hear of any developments.